Bitter Kola nut is a popular agricultural produce available in large quantity in West Africa especially in Nigeria as most people eat bitter kola because of it’s numerous medicinal purpose.The amazing health benefits of Kola nut to the body can never be over emphasized,no wonder it is generally referred to as the “African Wonder Fruit” as it has been identified and tested to be a potent antibiotic which is effective in the treatment of many diseases. The nuts,fruits,seeds and the plant’s bark have been used throughout centuries in folk medicine to treat ailments ranging from coughs to fever.It is known in the international market as “Garcinia Kola” which symbolizes its Botanical Name and is variedly used in the preparation of herbal drugs functioning as a herbal remedy as well as a stimulant supplement.In Nigeria,it grows on the G.Kola trees that is normally found in coastal rain forest zones found in the West,East and Southern parts of Nigeria.The three major tribes in Nigeria call it different names;the Igbo tribe call it “Aki-ilu”,the Hausa’s in the northern part of Nigeria call it “Nmiji-goro” and the Yoruba’s in the south western part of Nigeria call it “Orogbo”.
Traditionally,bitter kola was eaten mostly by the elderly people because of their belief that it could prolong life.In recent years,this has proven to be true as modern research scientists have discovered that bitter Kola contains powerful chemical compounds that will help breakdown glycogen in the liver,anti-poison and has the ability to repel evil men and spirits,it could look and sound superstitious but it works.The naturalist school of thought even said that bark and sees of Kola should be eaten together in cases where food poisoning is suspected or experienced,”it helps to detoxify the system”,Indeed,it really works!All these account for the wonder fruit favorite use.
Additionally,these nuts were chewed by people to stimulate free flow of saliva in the mouth,but today,they are widely consumed as a snack(blame it on people firsthand knowledge of it’s amazing benefits).There are popular traditional belief of the use of nuts of bitter Kola,the most popular of these belief are
- The strategic placement of bitter kola nuts in your home or environment can scare away snakes or prevent them from coming anywhere close
- bitter kola help spiritually i.e it helps chase away bad omens from your home and self
Tracing our diverse cultures root in Nigeria,you will find out that bitter kola plays super important cultural roles in the Yoruba and Igbo tribe,and to Ivory Coast,Ghana and other central African Countries.They are used in traditional ceremonies,marking some special events such as coronation ceremonies,marriages, and fortune telling by traditional herbalist etc and still they gladly enjoy the health benefits of kola nut.
You might be shocked to learn that kola nuts consist of only 2% caffeine and is the origin of the word “Cola”, and also believed among major Nigerian tribes to be the first tree on earth.In these regions ,the nuts are often chewed before actual meals to aid easy digestion and combat harmful effects of drinking impure water.In addiction,it contains Theobromine;an alkaloid substance found in chocolate and is also considered to be a major cause of the feeling of alertness and well being after consumption.This potent mixture of theobromine and caffeine might just be a big contributing factor for the moderate sense of euphoria that’s reported after chewing the nuts.
Health benefits Of Kola nut to the body
Native to Africa,kola nut has been properly utilized for hundreds of years by Africans;from chewing it to get energy from the caffeine present within the nuts to it’s use as an energizer and appetizer suppressant, to it’s utilization in the management of morning sickness,digestion problems and migraine.Listed below are a few health advantages of kola nuts.
- Effective Metabolism Booster
One popular health benefits of kola nut to the body is the presence of caffeine in kola nut which in turn increases it’s capability to aid the body while increasing heart rate.This one effect of the numerous health effects of the kola nut can prove dangerous to individuals that have pre-existing heart problems.On the other hand,it could supply a required metabolic boost to individuals with slow metabolism.This optimizes heart health,in recommended dosages,as caffeine is researched to be a health stimulant.This body optimization helps boost metabolism which has a number of physiological and enzymatic effects on the human body.
- Circulation of Oxygen :Kola nuts possess the ability to circulate the flow of oxygen to particular areas of the body such as the skin,organs and the brain by stimulating heart rate as well as increasing circulation.As a result of this,kola nuts are popularly referred to as intellectual boosters,because a higher level of oxygen within the brain has been associated with higher levels of concentration and cognition.Kola nuts are sometimes chewed on simply because they help “Clear the mind”.This encourages the healing of wounds in the body.
- The nuts aids easy digestion
For thousands of years,kola nuts and it’s bark have been chewed or consumed by indigenous culture in Africa in the management of digestive upset as well as in ceremonies.Kola nuts active ingredients have the ability to improve digestion as well as nutrient absorption while decreasing your chances of having or contacting cramping,bowel problems,bloating,along with other,most severe,gastrointestinal issues.
- Bitter Kola improves our immune system health
Because the leaves and the root stem have been discovered to contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that may prevent and if already contacted,can fight against different kinds of bacteria and virus infection responsible for the creation of a number of respiratory illnesses,which includes bronchitis,tuberculosis and meningitis.Although the nuts themselves are not directly linked to this therapeutic benefit,it’s extracts can be bought in most health food stores.
- Improves and aids weight loss
Caffeine is a hunger suppreser to some extent,kola nut is a natural hunger suppresant as it contains caffeine.It is a natural fat burner as it increases the urge to drink more water which in turn fastens metabolism.I this often times to people who want to lose weight or improve the quality of their diet.
- Prevents and fights against infections
According to May 2004 edition of the journal research “Phytotheraphy research”,nut extracts from a number of kola-nuts can considerably hinder the development of bacteria belonging to the Mycobacterium species which can cause a number of diseases such as meningitis as well as tuberculosis.This claim however have not been confirmed clinically and I also advice the use of the herb,should be utilized following the guidance of a skilled medical practitioner.
- Helps stimulate the nervous system
One tablespoon of kola nut powder in a cup of tea or black coffee can ehance and optimize nervous and muscular energies,according to Richard Allan Miller,writer and author of “The Magical and Ritual Use Of Herbs”
- Increases energy and bronchodilation
Kolanuts contains caffeine,theophylline and theobromine. Theophylline helps assist relax muscles and dilates bronchioles in individuals who are suffering from asthma and bronchitis.Theo-bromine decreases blood pressure and dilates blood vessels.
Caffeine provides energy to individuals struggling with tiredness and long-term fatigue.
- Reduces high blood pressure
Reports have shown that kola might help lower high blood pressure level and combat numerous harmful toxins in the human body.It’s use also include fight against urinary tract infections,hepatis,venereal diseases,rheumatism and congestive heart failure.
- Bitter Kola Enhance male fertility
Bitter Kola nut has been a widely used treatment in enhancing male fertility.Bitter Kola effects on sperm is the cure of quick ejaculation as well as impotency;it can alter the chemicals responsible for the control of libido in men but I strongly advice you use it wisely.
- Effective in the treatment of Glaucoma
Garcina Kola helps to effectively reduce eye pressure when taken twice a day.Uncontrolled eye pressure can lead to glaucoma,an eye disease that if left untreated can and will damage the optic pat of the eye ball which can make you blind.This effective amazing health benefits of kola nut is a very potent one.
Negative Side effects of kola nuts
- Bitter Kola and Pregnancy:Caffeine consumption during pregnancy in most cases usually result in low fetal weight.Due to it’s high caffeine and theobrime contents,kola nuts usually are not suitable for nursing and pregnant mothers.
- Abuse of kola nut or even heavy consumption of Cola beverages has been relaxed to inhibition of bone development in adolescent as well as bone loss in adults.
- Some negative side effects of kola nut include but not linited to:diarrhea,nausea,anxiety,insomnia,nervousness,tremorr and gastrointestinal problems or even worse DEATH.These problems could occur when kola is abused.
- Reports and many professionally are suggesting that teenagers to limit their consumption of soft drinks that contain cola.The reduction of consumption of these drinks will decrease their chance of osteopoiosis in later life.
- Kolanut combination with high blood pressure medication(HBP),muscle relaxants,heart medication nitrates and calcium-channel could result in a death sentence.
- Medical reports show that drinks that contains cola often boost the rate and defree at which carbamazepine(Tetgretol);a drug used to cure epilepsy and bipolar disorder is absorbed.
- Kola nut can interfere with tricyclic antidepressant medications along with inhibitors(MAO).
In Conclusion:Above are the amazing health benefits of kola nuts to the body and Kola nut side effects